"Just living is not enough. One must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower." - Hans Christian Andersen

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Sisters... the good... the bad... and the adorable...

I had two sisters.  One passed away a few years ago, I haven't spoken to the other in just as long.  I wasn't raised with them.  They were my father's daughters from a previous marriage and lived far away, in Kansas.  I was sixteen when I finally met them and, unfortunately, you can't build a childhood together where there was none.  I always envied my friends their sisters... whether they be fighting... giggling... tattling... whatever it was that day, it was a relationship that I desperately wanted. 

Now i sit watching my daughter who is, for all intents and purposes, an only child since her brother is twenty four years older than her.  Being an only child is nice at times because you have all of your parents' attention.  It is also terrible at times... because you have all of your parents' attention.  Being an only child is also lonely... as I know only too well.

I suppose it shouldn't surprise me that Amerah wants the dog to call her Sissy.  It makes me laugh to watch the two of them squabble and play and chase each other around the yard.  It made me sad to see how much Lily missed Amerah while she was at camp.


The following fall under the heading "SuperLily"... yes that is supposed to be a cape...
 
  
Without a doubt, there is a sisterly bond between girl and dog that I never had with my human sisters.
 
I love my girls.

No comments:

Post a Comment