"Just living is not enough. One must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower." - Hans Christian Andersen

Monday, January 16, 2012

New Years Eve girls' night

New Years Eve 2011/2012 found Amerah and I home and left to our own devices.  Dave was working and Shawn was... well... Shawn (i.e tucked away in his corner of the family room, with his computer, oblivious to his surroundings).  What to do... what to do...

We decided to make a gingerbread house (from a pre-fab kit - I'm not THAT ambitious!).  It didn't turn out too bad for two first timers, if I do say so myself!  Next year we want to do a bigger house, there just wasn't enough room for the artistic license we wanted to take.
 
This is what we started with.  The icing and candy in front came with the kit... the rest were our add-ons.

Because we had to let the icing set so that the house wouldn't fall down as we decorated, we took a dinner break for some homemade vegetable soup (cooked in the crock pot and frozen) and biscuits.
Then we decorated...
 
 
 
After we finished our gingerbread house, Amerah and I popped some corn in my air popper (a.k.a. my new kitchen favorite)...
and snuggled down with Lily to watch a Christmas movie...
 
 
 
We finished the movie just in time to call Dave so that he could be on the phone with us as the ball dropped.  He got home about 12:30/1 am... after Amerah was in bed... and Lily and I stayed up with him for a bit.
I missed my husband on New Year's Eve.  Amerah and I had fun but she got whiny as the hour grew late... and she categorically refused to let me kiss her cheek as the clock turned 12... on the upside, Lily was MORE than happy to kiss me.  Wet... slobbery... slurpy... kisses... yuck!

Welcome 2012!  We are looking forward to seeing what you have in store for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment