"Just living is not enough. One must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower." - Hans Christian Andersen

Friday, November 4, 2011

The pumpkin patch

About a week before Halloween Dave, Amerah, and I began our search for the perfect pumpkins.  We didn't find perfection, but we did find amusement... which is far better in most cases! :-)
This was Amerah's first pick, mainly because she could lift it!  She changed her mind and chose something a little bigger.  Yes... I did have to bribe her not to stick out her tongue... and I STILL got a goofy face!  Then I spied a tall, funky pumpkin so we just HAD to get it...
 About this time Amerah spied a bouncy house and that was the end of the pumpkin picking.
 
 
So we left the pumpkin place with 2 pumpkins, a bounced out kid, and something to make the mama happy too...
(In a side note that has nothing really to do with Halloween or pumpkins...) In a planter in my front yard, I had planted what promised to be lovely wildflowers in varying shades of pink.  This is what I got...
Now it looks like this...
Woo Hoo!! :-)

Okay back to pumpkins...

The day before Halloween we set to work gutting them.
Eew!  Pumpkin guts!
It's almost inevitable that, during the gutting process, somebody will pretend that the pumpkin guts are boogers...
My grandmother (Nanny) stopped by to visit during the pumpkin gutting.  I love these photos of her! :-)  Especially under my sign haha.
 
 
She didn't stay for the carving though, and I was glad when I saw that little miss Amerah was not at all happy that we were going to carve them the old fashioned way (i.e. make up our own faces rather than use a pattern).  Last year the patterns were too complex for her and she quit less than a third of the way through.. I thought this would be easier for her.  She pouted and stomped off to her room.  Dave and I continued on as if she hadn't left at all and eventually she regained her composure and rejoined us.
 
 
 
 
 
 
Oh... did I mention that, while they were getting their hands all gooey and slimy, I was making homemade hot cocoa in my crock pot? Mmmmmmm!
And last but not least... a few random pics of OUR pumpkin...
 
ahh the faces this kid can make!

No comments:

Post a Comment