"Just living is not enough. One must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower." - Hans Christian Andersen

Saturday, November 5, 2011

Halloween

After three Halloween parties, Amerah wasn't thrilled about once again donning her itchy, uncomfortable costume that she just HAD to have!  I found myself wishing she were just a few years younger and would have let me pick a costume for her.  No such luck.  For some unfathomable reason, she just HAD to be Wolfie from Monster High.  She doesn't own any of the Monster High dolls.  She's never read any of the books (if they have any) or watched the new cartoon that just came out.  Nevertheless she HAD to have a Wolfie costume, so Wolfie it was!
 
 
Is it just me, or does anyone else find the humor in the fact that I sent my child out trick or treating with a reusable grocery store bag that says "make half your plate fruits and veggies" Bwahahahaha!
 

Everyone who really knows me, knows how much I love holidays.  In my younger, single days, I dreamed of all the fun we would have when I had my own family.  Years ago I always had someone to hang out with on Halloween.  I accompanied friends when they took their little ones trick or treating, I went to parties, I had people over.  Not once did I envision a Halloween where my husband would have to spend the night at work and my daughter would go trick or treating with her mom because I was in too much pain to take her.  It didn't occur to me that ALL of my friends would make other plans.  Never did I imagine that I would find myself sitting at home, alone with the dog, handing out candy to a grand total of nine children (while trying to restrain an enthusiastic, half crazed, golden retriever who did not understand why strange looking people kept knocking on the door) and having myself a little pity party because reality wasn't living up to my fantasies.  No I did not have a fun Halloween.  My legs hurt.  A lot.  And I felt sorry for myself.  A lot.  It was pitiful. 

Sandy brought Amerah home early (by 7:30 pm) and she had fun even though she would have liked to trick or treat with friends her own age rather than her baby cousin.  Amerah curled up on the arm of my chair and snuggled for a bit after her shower, which dissipated some of my self pity.  Next year I'll have to figure something else out because I don't want another sucky Halloween... Sigh...

2 comments: