"Just living is not enough. One must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower." - Hans Christian Andersen

Friday, December 16, 2011

Amerah: ouside of the box

Amerah is either the worst colorer ever or a creative genius.  I can't decide.  She's ten and finds it difficult to color inside the lines.  She also leaves gaping white holes in her coloring which make my inner perfectionist cringe.  Amerah is, however, incredibly gifted at making something out of nothing.  Her ability to think outside of the box is enviable and I think will be an asset to her later in life.
I offer the following examples...
My mother sent her some pipe cleaners (most everything begins with the words "my mother sent her..."  She made a hat (has a bit of a tiara look to it).
My mother sent her fleece... I showed her how to make a tie quilt... she tied it first into a baby hat... then a doll dress... finally a purse.  All without a single stitch.
I don't have any examples of her duct tape creations off hand but suffice to say the sky is the limit when it comes to duct tape!  In some ways I envy her.  A piece of tape is not simply a piece of tape.  A scrap of paper is not simply a scrap of paper.  She has vision and sees possibilities in the most unlikely places.

No comments:

Post a Comment